Chapter - 2
Definition of Pronoun:-
A word (one of the traditional parts of speech) that takes the place of a noun, noun phrase, or noun clause. See "Observations," below. Adjective: pronominal.
A pronoun can function as a subject, object, or complement in a sentence. Unlike nouns, pronouns rarely allow modification. example- He, She, It they etc.
सर्वनाम की परिभाषा :-
संज्ञा के स्थान पर प्रयोग किये जाने वाले शब्द को सर्वनाम कहते है। जैसे - वह, मै , तुम, वो आदि।
Kinds of Pronoun:-
The term pronoun covers many words, some of which do not fall easily under the generic description of words that replace nouns. There are several different kinds of pronouns, including:
1. Personal pronouns:-
Personal pronouns are the words I, you, he, she, it, we, they and who. When a personal pronoun is the subject of a verb.
(e.g., I went to the park),
it is said to be in the subjective form.(All the ones above are in the subjective form.)
However, when a personal pronoun is not the subject of a verb (e.g., Pass it to me.),
it is in the objective form
(i.e., me, you, him, her, it, us, them and whom).Interactive example:
It has bitten me and her. It's time for us to go. Who's coming?
2. Demonstrative pronouns.-
The demonstrative pronouns are this, that, these, and those. They are used to demonstrate or point out specific things. Example:This is not my handbag.
That is mine.
This and that refer to singular nouns; whereas, these and those refer to plural nouns.
Interactive example:
I am not taking that with me. You can carry it if you like.
Interactive example: It has bitten me and her. It's time for us to go. Who's coming?
An indefinite pronoun refers to a non-specific person or thing. It usually conveys the idea of all, any, none or some. The most common ones are: all, any, anyone, anything, each, everybody, everyone, everything, few, many, nobody, none, one, several, some, somebody, and someone.When used as an adjective, these are known as "indefinite adjectives".Examples: All in the lobby must remain seated. (indefinite pronoun) All personnel in the lobby must remain seated. (indefinite adjective) Please take some to Mrs Chandler. (indefinite pronoun) Please take some lemons to Mrs Chandler. (indefinite adjective)
Interactive example:
Does anyone know anything about yesterday's accident?
5. Possessive pronouns.-
The possessive pronouns are the words my, your, his, her, its, our and their. They are used to indicate who owns something. (As they are used as adjectives, they are also known as possessive adjectives.) Examples: Take his spoon and put it by your plate.
Interactive example:
Our view is that it's come to the end of its working life.
If Al and Tom don't talk to one another, there will be trouble.
6. Reciprocal pronouns:-
A reciprocal pronoun is used for an action or feeling that is reciprocated. The two most common reciprocal pronouns are "each other" and "one another".
Example:- You can shout at each other as much as you like outside.
A relative pronoun is used to link one phrase or clause to another word in the sentence. The relative pronouns are: who, whom, that, which, where, when. (Whoever, whomever and whichever are also relative pronouns.)
Example:-
I cannot see the man who threw the coin. "who" links this clause to "man". I do have James Baker, who drove the car, on the screen. "who" links this clause to "James Baker" . Please take the PC that crashed to the IT Department. "that" links this clause to "PC". I would like to return to the time when dinosaurs ruled the Earth. "when" links this clause to "time".
In the examples above, the words "man", "James Baker", "PC" and "time" are known as the antecedents of the relative pronouns.
Example:- Did you see the owl which flew over the tent at about 5 am?
A reflexive pronoun refers back to another noun or pronoun in the sentence. The reflexive pronouns are: myself, yourself, herself, himself, itself, ourselves, yourselves and themselves.Examples: Alison still does not trust herself. I often ask myself why I left London. In most sentences, somebody does something to someone else. For example: I like him. He spoke to her. She thumped him. The dog bit her.(Note: It's not always about people.)However, sometimes people do things to themselves, and this is when you can use myself, yourself, herself, himself, itself, ourselves, yourselves, and themselves as reflexive pronouns. For example: I like myself. He spoke to himself. She thumped herself. The dog bit itself. Some real examples: I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation. I cannot bring myself to do it. The ability to delude yourself may be an important survival tool.
9. Intensive Pronouns:-
Intensive pronouns are used for emphasis. They are formed by adding "-self" or "-selves" to an appropriate pronoun (i.e., a word like him, them, etc.). The intensive pronouns are: myself, yourself, himself, herself, itself, ourselves, yourselves and themselves.
Example: : Leave it! I will do it myself. Did you build that yourselves?(Note: There is no such word as "hisself".)
Interactive example:
I am off for a day on Wednesday. Can you finish this yourself?
Previous Chapter Home Next Chapter
Posted By Abhinav Shukla
That is mine.
This and that refer to singular nouns; whereas, these and those refer to plural nouns.
Interactive example:
I am not taking that with me. You can carry it if you like.
3. Interrogative pronouns.-
The main interrogative pronouns are: who, whom, which, and what. (Whoever, whomever, whichever, whatever, and whose can also be interrogative pronouns.) Interrogative pronouns are used to ask questions. (The interrogative pronoun represents the thing that the question is about.)Examples: Who won the race? Which is the greater? Which feat is the greater? (This is not an interrogative pronoun. It is an interrogative adjective — it modifies "feat".)Interactive example: It has bitten me and her. It's time for us to go. Who's coming?
4. Indefinite Pronoun.-
An indefinite pronoun refers to a non-specific person or thing. It usually conveys the idea of all, any, none or some. The most common ones are: all, any, anyone, anything, each, everybody, everyone, everything, few, many, nobody, none, one, several, some, somebody, and someone.When used as an adjective, these are known as "indefinite adjectives".Examples: All in the lobby must remain seated. (indefinite pronoun) All personnel in the lobby must remain seated. (indefinite adjective) Please take some to Mrs Chandler. (indefinite pronoun) Please take some lemons to Mrs Chandler. (indefinite adjective)
Interactive example:
Does anyone know anything about yesterday's accident?
5. Possessive pronouns.-
The possessive pronouns are the words my, your, his, her, its, our and their. They are used to indicate who owns something. (As they are used as adjectives, they are also known as possessive adjectives.) Examples: Take his spoon and put it by your plate.
Interactive example:
Our view is that it's come to the end of its working life.
If Al and Tom don't talk to one another, there will be trouble.
6. Reciprocal pronouns:-
Example:- You can shout at each other as much as you like outside.
7. Relative Pronouns:-
A relative pronoun is used to link one phrase or clause to another word in the sentence. The relative pronouns are: who, whom, that, which, where, when. (Whoever, whomever and whichever are also relative pronouns.)
Example:-
I cannot see the man who threw the coin. "who" links this clause to "man". I do have James Baker, who drove the car, on the screen. "who" links this clause to "James Baker" . Please take the PC that crashed to the IT Department. "that" links this clause to "PC". I would like to return to the time when dinosaurs ruled the Earth. "when" links this clause to "time".
In the examples above, the words "man", "James Baker", "PC" and "time" are known as the antecedents of the relative pronouns.
Example:- Did you see the owl which flew over the tent at about 5 am?
8. Reflexive pronoun:-
A reflexive pronoun refers back to another noun or pronoun in the sentence. The reflexive pronouns are: myself, yourself, herself, himself, itself, ourselves, yourselves and themselves.Examples: Alison still does not trust herself. I often ask myself why I left London. In most sentences, somebody does something to someone else. For example: I like him. He spoke to her. She thumped him. The dog bit her.(Note: It's not always about people.)However, sometimes people do things to themselves, and this is when you can use myself, yourself, herself, himself, itself, ourselves, yourselves, and themselves as reflexive pronouns. For example: I like myself. He spoke to himself. She thumped herself. The dog bit itself. Some real examples: I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversation. I cannot bring myself to do it. The ability to delude yourself may be an important survival tool.
9. Intensive Pronouns:-
Example: : Leave it! I will do it myself. Did you build that yourselves?(Note: There is no such word as "hisself".)
Interactive example:
I am off for a day on Wednesday. Can you finish this yourself?
Previous Chapter Home Next Chapter
No comments:
Post a Comment